Friday, December 01, 2006

such a slacker

I lost a day this week.

Yesterday I got a call from one of the teachers at Duckie’s school. Due to the rampant spread of stomach flu (ick), they had decided to close at 12 tomorrow [sic: today] to power-clean the place, and they would re-open on Monday.

“What about Friday?” I asked.

“We’re closing at noon,” Miss C said patiently.

“But what about the next day?”

“The next day’s Monday.”

“No, the next day is Friday.”

“But it’s Wednesday today.”

“It’s Thursday today.”

Holy shit. Really?

How embarrassing.

*****

I’ve been lax this week due to another online project that I’ll announce once the link is officially up.

I’ve been lax about yoga, too. Practiced Tuesday and Wednesday, skipped yesterday, will skip again today unless I have a half an hour to do some low-key vinyasa and gentle poses. My cycle started about a week early, which explains the PMS-like symptoms of the last few days. They actually were PMS; go figure.

Wednesday’s practice was strong and smooth; I had to take more breaths during the flow than I would have liked, but it was because I was working the upper body a lot more than usual. I’ve said it before, but it’s worth repeating: it’s amazing what you can do once you drop the “I can’t” drama. The place between “I can’t” and “I can” is powerful for me – a place of pure possibility and acceptance. I kinda like it. Think I’ll spend some more time there.

Even better, I was babbling to Brian on the way home about the new things my arms would do for me when he said, “So which transition are you talking about? Plank to cobra or plank to up dog? What’s the difference?”

I almost ran the car off the road. That he will ask the questions is great – and that he’ll take the time to understand the answer is even better. I’m just blown away.

*****

The pumpkin experiment taught me three things. First, that brand-new fresh spices really are much more potent than old stuff that’s been sitting around since last Christmas. Second, that you can use too much pumpkin pie spice. I didn’t think it was possible. Third, that folks in the canteen here will eat just about anything you put in front of them, even something with too much pumpkin pie spice.

*****


This weekend the tree goes up. We’re hoping to hit the home improvement stores to get a couple of pints of color samples for the house. I’m planning a massive paint assault on the interior walls after Christmas. I’ll be home for ten days; there won’t be a better time. Trying to pick paint colors with a red/green color blind person has proved interesting, to say the least. It’s a good thing we had already decided on soothing neutral tones. We're all about Zen minimalism these days.

*****

I feel like I’m cheating on this blog, because I really do need to write for the other project. I’ll get four hours of work today before I get Duckie. Next Tuesday we’ll be graced with a visit from a major customer as well as internal mid-to-upper sales, marketing and logistics brass. I may bring beer and popcorn just to enjoy the show. We have our six-month surveillance audit on Wednesday. I have got to stop slacking off and get some shit done today.

Hope y’all have a great weekend. I’m off to visit The Other Woman.

1 comment:

SB Gypsy said...

I have got to stop slacking off and get some shit done today.

That's my eternal lament!