Friday, July 22, 2005

Patriot Act 4-Ever, Amen

The House of Representatives voted today to extend the Patriot Act. God, but I do hate the name of that bill.

I saw a church the other day with this interesting homily: “Personal freedom ends where public safety begins.” Hmm. OK, but I think it depends on who’s defining the concept of “public safety.”

‘Cause, you know,
this makes me nervous, too, 'specially having lived in the City for a while at one point in my life. I’m not sure I trust that this kind of random searching will really be random for long. I’m not sure I trust that it will be used solely for the purpose of protecting the public from terrorists. And I'm pretty sure that it’s not addressing the root cause of fundamentalist terrorism, whatever you believe that might be.

No comments: