Thursday, July 07, 2005

dark in the jungle

*



How do you maintain sanity?

No, I’m seriously asking the question. I feel like I’m living in a nightmare sometimes and I’d really appreciate it if someone could just shake the hell out of me and wake me up.

But I think I have woken up, and being awake in this world isn’t fun right now.

Yesterday I heard Michael Smith on NPRs Fresh Air, talking about the implications of the Downing Street Memos. What struck me especially were his comments, consistent with the article linked above, about how the UN was used as a pretext for war. "Although Blair and Bush still insist the decision to go to the U.N. was about averting war, one memo states that it was, in fact, about "wrong-footing" Hussein into giving them a legal justification for war."


Another unnerving thought: that Tony Blair supported the Bush cause for war because of Blair's political party. Since he was a member of the Labor party, seen as (too) liberal by the American Republicans, he bent over backwards to prove to them (Bush and his cronies) that he could be just as war-hungry as the rest of them. What the ... ? You know, I smoked pot in high school and college because it was, initially, a way to get in with the rest of the crowd, but don’t you think the head of a nation should be a little beyond peer pressure? Especially when it comes to leading your nation and your army into a dangerous, destructive situation with no way out and no real purpose.

Shakespeare’s Sister has also jumped on this, way earlier than I did, and much better written. But it’s still worth my two cents.

This morning we hear that Dubya has already co-opted the bombings in London today for his war on terror:

“…the contrast couldn't be clearer between the intentions and the hearts of those of us who care deeply about human rights and human liberty, and those who kill, those who've got such evil in their heart that they will take the lives of innocent folks.

The war on terror goes on. I was most impressed by the resolve of all the leaders in the room. Their resolve is as strong as my resolve. And that is, we will not yield to these people, will not yield to the terrorists.

We will find them. We will bring them to justice. And at the same time we will spread an ideology of hope and compassion that will overwhelm their ideology of hate.”

I’m not sure where he’s coming from here. Where’s the compassion at Guantanemo Bay? Where’s the hope for veterans of war who come home to a mismanaged and broke VA? Practice what you preach, you preachy bastard, and I might listen to you for more than five minutes without wanting to vomit.

The Pope has chimed in, too, with a useful message of love and support. He called the attacks “inhuman and anti-Christian.” How stupid can a person be, and manage to be the Pope? Inhuman? Who do you think planned the whole thing and left the bombs – trained terrorist dogs? The people who did this are just as human as you and I, however pathological their motives and methods. Calling them “inhuman” puts yet another barrier up, another brick in the Them vs. Us wall.
And “anti-Christian”? What the ...? How egocentric can you be? Do you really think these attacks targeted Christians? Don’t you think a better word might have been “unchristian” or “vicious” or something maybe not so politically charged? No wonder they’re telling Muslims in London to stay indoors. Thanks for nothing, Pope B.

Note: The BBC wisely edited out the Pope’s less intelligent comments. Or maybe the BS was lost in translation.

Don’t let the London bombings minimize your awareness of the Downing Street Memos. They’re connected. Bush lied to get us into Iraq, and now that we’re there, he’s going to use every dirty trick in the book to keep us there. Even if it means more European bombings. Even if it means more deaths, on American soil or not. The longer we stay in Iraq under his leadership or anyone else’s, the violence against Western powers will escalate. And Bush will use that violence to justify continued presence in Iraq, and so the dance of death continues.


There’s an antiwar rally planned in Washington, September 24th, the day after Duckie’s 2nd birthday. If TWS don’t get booked for the Flat Rock Music Festival, I’m seriously considering going. At this point I’m seriously considering blowing off Flat Rock and going anyway.


But you know, I’m kinda scared to at the same time. What if someone running security thinks he sees a gun and starts firing into the crowd? I’d like to believe it’s not possible, not in America, that free speech and the right to assemble is one of those pesky civil rights that’s built into our Constitution. But the more I see, the less I believe it. And as much as I hate to admit to this fear, I am scared at the thought of being involved in a riot or a massacre. I went to a pro-choice rally once in Washington that was fantastic – more of a big ol’ family party kinda thing – and I’d be happy to take Duckie along with me if I thought it was going to be like that. Somehow I don’t think it will be so hunky-dory, especially as the protest is aimed at the current administration (who will, of course, be running the security.)


Go ahead. Call me paranoid.

For those of you who understand where I’m coming from (SAAAAAM!), I’d appreciate any day-to-day sanity maintenance tips. It’s getting kind of dark in the jungle.




4 comments:

lost said...

Lets start with not taking it so goddam personal. Focus! Quit fucking skimming the on-line news and pay attention to whats more important. Like your Family! Smoking dope doesnt stop war.

Some Girl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Some Girl said...

I do have a perspective on this, doll. It's a lot less... uh, aggressive than the previous one, but strangely, in a way VERY similar. Read my blog for today when you have a few minutes, it's dealing with this subject precisely. Weee-ee-ee-ooOOooOo! We still talkin' about Sunday evening? I don't think we have plans... If we don't, I'll send X to play with Stewart and I'll come play with y'all.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I love your connection about smoking pot and peer pressure. Your right that Blair should be beyond peer pressure. Especially from idiot boy Bush. I'm loosing it too sweetie. Now with this Rove leak I feel like I am about to pop. God, I hope things change in the 2006 mid-term elections.