Tuesday, June 21, 2005

No, I will NOT drop it.

How To Change Ugly Regimes
Washington has a simple solution to most governments it doesn't like: isolate them, slap sanctions on them and wait for their downfall.

This is an interesting article from Fareed Zakaria of Newsweek. It addresses a political question that has bothered me for a while – what should we do about dictators, fascists, and totalitarian governments (other than our own, I mean)? You don’t want to do business with them because on some level you feel like it might be morally wrong to do so – so you sanction them, keep a watch on them, and hope they’ll go away.

(Or you
make up a story, sell it to the American people, and invade. Go for a "regime change." Guess it depends on who’s in office.)

I think Mr. Zakaria has a great point, and it goes far towards highlighting one of our weakest areas as a nation. The need for our foreign policy makers to see complex issues in terms of black vs. white also mitigates their awareness of the people underneath the tyrants – people who may accept tyranny because they don’t know what else to do. (Or maybe their press is being manipulated. Or their elections are tampered with – gee, I don’t know, could be lotsa things, right?)

Part of me wants to believe that we should indeed ostracize demon nations – or at least do something. But maybe that something ought to be a little more humanitarian and a little less political.

So I do a little more digging on Mr. Zakaria and ran across this article he wrote back in April 2003:

"Improving on Saddam Hussein's tyranny is going to be easy. If the next government of Iraq does not routinely imprison, torture and gas its people, institute a reign of terror, systematically persecute the Shiites and the Kurds, and steal the lionís share of national resources for the Army and secret police, then it will be a better government than Iraqis have had for three decades. Many problems lie ahead, but eliminating Saddamís regime is a huge leap forward for Iraq."

Well, well, well. What do you think, folks? Are we doing a better job? Or are we just another kind of devil? Read this before you answer.


************************

Speaking of media manipulation... I guess it's not enough that Congress decided to slash the PBS budget. Now the GOP is taking over management there, too. *shivers*

Republicans take aim at their small-screen enemies.

Nasty. Is this really my country?



3 comments:

James said...

Dude. Where's my country?

job opportunitya said...

Super blog. I enjoyed the site and when I have the
time, shall visit the site again. Finding blogs this
good on the internet.
If your look to uncover information, please visit my car donation program blog

Id Idaho House Cleaning said...

Hot blog. When I get to seraching on the web for
blogs, its got to be like yours! And the site is off
the hook! I just kept coming back!
Check out my wi wisconsin house cleaning blog, you won't be sorry!